Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Beans Beans, They're Good for Your Heart

After a guilt-free three weeks of not really having classes (thanks to the Spanish education system and holiday calendar), my school schedule has finally begun.  Just as if I was at Holy Cross, I’m taking four classes this semester: Political Sociology, Colloquial Spanish, Aesthetics of Literature Film and Art, and a year-long conversation and grammar class through Holy Cross.  Although I really like my schedule since my earliest class starts at 10:30, it’s a little out of the ordinary since the majority of my classes meet after la comida, or lunch.  In case I haven’t touched upon this earlier, la comida is considered to be the most important meal; literally everything, and everyone, break between 2:00-4:00 to go home for lunch and take a siesta.  Some afternoons I’ll be hanging around the University during these hours since with my schedule, it doesn’t make sense to head back to my apartment, a huge bummer since I look forward to la comida with the host fam everyday.
Speaking of my host fam, I spent this past weekend at my host dad’s parent’s summer home in Lourenzá, Lugo, a tiny Spanish-countryside pueblo that’s about an hour and a half outside of Coruña.  Every October, the town holds a festival to celebrate their infamous faba beans, rightfully so might I add since I’m still full from my faba-overload.  Spanish festivals typically include an overwhelming amount of food, family reunions, lots of artisan markets, and staying out until way past midnight (we actually headed back home at around 12:30, verrry early, but the music was still blasting throughout the city until 3am!).  My favorite part of the trip was definitely getting to know my host dad’s family, most especially his parents; they sure are a great bunch, and their constant energy certainly reminded me of my family (Christmas is coming sooner than we think, it's already October!).  Other pretty cool activities during the weekend included taking two afternoon beach trips (another reason why I love Galicia), hearing Sunday mass in Gallego (quite the experience) and learning how to “escanciar la sidra” (the very specific way to serve Spain’s notable cider).
Although this week has been mentally exhausting now that my classes are in full-swing (it’s hard to learn a language!!), I just booked a weekend trip to Portugal with seven of the HC kids in Coruña.  We’ll be heading to Porto, Portugal early Friday morning and heading back to Coruña by Sunday afternoon.  Can’t wait!


Lourenzá's Church in the Center of Town.



Playa de Las Catedrales, Galicia, España.

No comments:

Post a Comment