Wednesday, August 3, 2011

“You’re Studying WHERE!?”

Seeing that I’m leaving in 10 days (where did the summer go?), my trip to Spain has been the forefront in just about every conversation that I’ve had in the past couple days.  Naturally, I’ll get the normal pre-departure questions: “Are you excited!?” “Have you started packing??” and last, but certainly not least, “Where are you going, Madrid or Barcelona!?”  Typical responses are the following: “Yes, I’m really excited!” “No, I haven’t started packing” and finally, “Uhhh, I’m studying in a city called La Coruña, you probably don’t know anything about it so yeahh... it’s near Portugal and it’s on the water though!”  Since the city is not that well known, the last question is extremely awkward to answer, but that’s kind of a good thing and partly why I’m really looking forward to this experience.  The philosophy of Holy Cross’ Study Abroad Office is to send students (in particular, those that are learning a language) to small, non-touristy cities; the office believes that students learn best in small environments, and after talking to numerous study abroad alumni, it’s 100 percent true.
Back to La Coruña.  Although I’ve actually never been there, I’ve seen tons of pictures and it looks awesome, so I can’t wait to call it home.  In brief, La Coruña is one of the major urban/port cities in Galicia, a north-western region in Spain that is very well known for its green landscapes (sort of like Ireland from what I hear) and its local pride.  The city is completely surrounded by water, hence why it’s the home of two popular beaches and the busiest receiving port in the area.  I couldn’t be happier with my host site and I can’t wait to keep you posted on what it’s like when I’m actually living there and can see it for myself.

As far as personal updates, I’ve been doing really well!  Summer is certainly starting to wind down since I’ve finished my internship (OCG, I’ll miss you guys!), the cousin soccer team has sadly been eliminated from the indoor league, and I’ve started to make plans for my final 10 days in the United States.  Most exciting news is that I’ve checked something off my bucket-list: running in the blessing of the fleet, a 10 mile scenic road race in Narragansett, RI.  Below are some pictures from last Friday night’s event!



My mom and I after I crossed the finish line!



My dad, me, and my sister Eliana shortly after the race was over.  Special shout-outs to my cousins Veronica and Gabriela, and my Auntie Jakie for coming to cheer me on, as well as my sister Jacklyne, her fiance Mike, and my brother Chris for supporting me through everything!



Andy (my running buddy and Study Abroad Spain alum) and myself.

2 comments: