Friday, August 26, 2011

Typical Day: Pamplona Edition

I honestly cannot believe that I’ve been in Spain for nearly two weeks; it’s incredible how fast time flies!  Now that I’m acclimated and have somewhat developed a daily routine, I figured I’d give you a brief description of a day in my Spanish life: Pamplona edition.
Weekday Schedule
8:45-> wake-up and get ready for the day
9:15-> breakfast (chocolate croissant and cafe con leche, best combination ever)
9:30-> grammar/conversation/culture class at the University of Navarra
1:30-> lunch, also known as “la comida” at the university’s cafeteria
2:30-> afternoon siesta (did I mention how much I love Spain)
4:00-> daily excursion: activities thus far have included attending a rumba class, touring the old part of the city (Casco Viejo), running with the bulls etc... 
6:00-> random Pamplona explorations, almost always involving some tapas
9:00-> dinner at the cafeteria next to our apartments
11:00-> going out in the city or just simply hanging around in the hotel
Weekend Schedule
Saturdays-> Each of the three Saturdays during our orientation, the coordinators (Julian, Rafa, Nakene, Iranzu, and Miguel) have planned excursions to nearby touristy destinations.  Last Saturday, we took a day-trip to San Sebastian, one of the most beautiful beach cities that I’ve ever been to.  This upcoming Saturday, we’re taking a bus to a small city in France and the following Saturday we’re heading north to Bilboa.  Can’t wait!
Sundays-> siesta, siesta, siesta
Although I’m beyond excited to relocate to La Coruña and meet my host family, I’ve truly loved every moment of my time in Pamplona.  Not only is it an awesome city, but I have some great company.  As I mentioned earlier, Pamplona (and the University of Navarra) is the host site for all the Holy Cross students who are studying abroad in Spain.  It’s been such a blast spending time with everyone, because even though Holy Cross can seem as small as a high school, it can be difficult to branch out and meet some new kids.
To end the post, I’d like to share some rather stressful news that I learned during my culture class at the University.  As we were going through some cultural differences, my teacher casually mentioned that it’s rude to ask to go to the bathroom during class.  For those of you who do not know, I arguably have the smallest bladder, so I foresee some future struggles.  Guess I won’t be drinking anytime before 2pm!
Quick shout-out to everyone moving in at HC (or if you’re abroad/away, safe travels/hope you settle in smoothly).  Last but certainly not least, prayers to my family and friends in Rhode Island as Irene approaches.


Running with the bulls, nbd.



The Ayuntamiento, or city hall, of Pamplona.



Our rumba/salsa dance instructors. 



Pamplona's infamous Plaza de Toros.


Spain study abroad group in San Sebastian.



Playa de la Concha, San Sebastian.


San Juan de Pie de Puerto, France!

2 comments: