Monday, February 13, 2012

This Is Why I Love Being Abroad...

Since my only Monday class begins two weeks from today, I took advantage of the fact that I didn’t have school and explored two parts of Coruña, one that I barely knew and the other that I had never been to.  This morning, I took a walk with Claire to “la cuidad vieja” or “the old city.”  I truly believe that the old city is one of Coruña’s many hidden gems since every humble-corner has a chunk full of history: ranging from a church that is a starting point to the “English Way” of the Camino de Santiago, and even a church whose facade is unfinished (pictured below).  Another reason why I love the old city is because it looks like a typical European neighborhood.  I live and mostly hang around in the modern section of Coruña; even though I always feel like I’m in Spain and not the United States, whenever I take the mile-long stroll to the old city, I get that wow-I’m-really-in-Europe feeling.
After eating lunch with my incredible host family, Eva and I decided to take a bus and go to Marineda City, one of Coruña’s four shopping malls.  What sets apart this mall is the fact that it’s the largest in Spain, and the second largest in Europe!  Marineda City is home to a bunch of European and American (Hollister!) clothing stores, as well as a Cortes Inglés (which is like a Macy’s on steroids, since it’s eight stories high!), an Ikea, a movie theater, food court, bowling alley, mini-golf course, bumper cars, and a go-kart racing track... needless to say, I was basically in heaven, and will most definitely head back very very soon to get my bowling, golfing and go-karting on.
As great as today has been, there is one minor negative.  A couple of days ago, for some weird reason I decided to countdown how many days are left in my study abroad experience... 100.  Tomorrow commences the double digits.  Although I’m super bummed at the fact that I only have 100 more days here in Coruña, I truly am getting really excited to go home and be a Holy Cross senior (weird, don't want to talk about it) next year.  Here’s to 100 unforgettable days!


The Church of Santiago in "La Cuidad Vieja"... also the starting point to the "English Way" of the Camino de Santiago.



Notice that part of the facade isn't finished!!!



A random, but cool park in the old city.



My favorite building in Coruña: el ayuntamiento, or the city hall.



Marineda City!!!



American stores in Spain: Hollister... right when I entered, the kid greeted me "hey, what's up?" in a really good, scarily accurate American accent!

1 comment:

  1. i love traveling.
    i wished i discovered it in college.
    fuck i wish i could redo the 4 eyars in college.
    so many mor eopportunities there!

    ReplyDelete