Tuesday, September 13, 2011

La Llegada: La Coruña, My Spanish Home

Pardon the very long, unanticipated break in blogging.  To be perfectly honest, I’ve been so busy adjusting to my new surroundings, so much so that I’ve barely had time to take a breath to stop and think.  Last Wednesday, I left Pamplona, a beautiful, healthy city filled with rich history, great people and enough modernity to make life super agradable (pleasing).  As difficult as it was to part ways with the city, it was arguably more difficult to say goodbye to the other Holy Cross kids (los hollies) as well as our spectacular coordinators in Pamplona since we all got so close in so little time; pero bueno, we’ll reunite somewhere in Spain very soon!
To say the least, our trip from Pamplona to A Coruña was an exhausting ten hour train ride, not to mention a connecting-switch seven hours in.  On top of that, we had to look out for all of our luggage in a sold-out train (11 people x 2 big suitcases x personal items... I get agita at the thought).  Simply put, we weren’t received too well on the train, but we made it, so I guess it all worked out!
All of our host families, as well as our two directors (Félix-academic and Pablo-housing) were awaiting our arrival at the train station.  Immediately upon exiting the train, I was warmly greeted by my host family, which consists of my host dad Pablo, host mom Isabel and host brother Iago (my host sister Marta is studying in the United States this academic school year, so it’s unfortunate that I won’t have the opportunity to meet her).  I’m so grateful that they’ve opened their home to me; they are some of the nicest people that I’ve ever met, continually complimenting/encouraging my Spanish and to quote Chrissy McCue (former Coruña alum), followers of the TI school of life, always saying “cualquiera lo que quieras” (whatever you like).
Although these past few days have been jam-packed with University orientations, completing documentation (such as my residency card, the end to the visa process... thank God), and taking walking-tours of the city), I’m so excited to be here and cannot wait for all that is to come this year.  Coruña is beyond beautiful and the most perfect combination of a downtown city and a beach/port.  Now that I have an adapter to charge my camera, I’ll be able to take some pictures, so look out for those in the near future!
Last but certainly not least, I had my first day of classes yesterday, which went pretty well.  For the most part (más o menos), I was able to understand my professor.  Even better, he informed us that due to a holiday at my University, class is cancelled for the rest of this week and next week.  Together with my other three classes (that don’t begin until the first week of October), I’m still on summer vacation!  

No comments:

Post a Comment