Sunday, September 18, 2011

Just A Little Bit Of An Update

To be honest, I don’t have too too much to update, but since I’ve got some free time I figured it might be a good idea to write a little bit.  Life in Coruña has been absolutely awesome.  Each day that passes, I feel more comfortable with my host family, with the language, and with the Spanish culture in general.  I’m also starting to feel that this city is mine, which is really cool yet strange in itself.  This experience is still surreal, but hey I’m not complaining, nor should I.
I’m really looking forward to this upcoming week since I’ll be meeting my Grandmother and cousin, Paloma, in Madrid!  Ever since I arrived in Spain last month (weird that it has already been over a month), I’ve been dying to spend some time in the country’s capital.  Not only is it a beautiful, world-renowned city known for its distinct culture, food, and art, it’s also the home to rich family history.  Of course this history has been passed down through the generations, however seeing and hearing about it in its most authentic, mother-tongue nature, will certainly be special and a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
Some definite highlights of the week include the following.  One morning, my host dad and I took a walking tour of the city, thus giving me the chance to snap some really cool photos of Coruña, as seen below.  In an attempt to combat the insane amount of carbs, cheese, and oil that we have been consuming on a daily basis, Ali and I joined a local gym called La Solana that is beyond awesome, complete with fully equipped work out rooms, outdoor swimming pools, and a tennis court.  Last, but certainly not least, the nine Coruñeses hacer(-ed) botellón, the infamous social drinking activity amongst the Spanish youth.  Essentially, botellón is the Spanish version of American pre-gaming for a night out, with the exception that botellón takes place outside, usually in a public park.  Over the past month we’ve heard countless stories from locals about this recently controversial Spanish tradition, and let me assure you that it did not disappoint; there was literally a sea of people binge drinking without a care in the world, not to mention the fact that this bi-weekly festivity did not begin until just after midnight!




Aerial shot of the city!



My first and only Spanish friend so far... ¡El Pulpo de Coruña!



Coruña is very well know for its Port, mostly due to the fact that it's the central force in the city's economy: fishing and tourism.



Typical photograph of Coruña.



Playa Orzán, one of the two beaches in the city.



At the top of Monte San Pedro.

No comments:

Post a Comment