Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Elevator, Elevator

Happy Tuesday everyone... also a happy 21st birthday to my good friend Jim Cav!  I figured that I would share this piece of news with my followers: the elevator in my apartment building is out of commission for three weeks, starting today.  In other words, my host and I have to go down/climb up seven flights of stairs every time we leave/come back to the apartment building.  Although it’s quite aggravating, I guess I’ll be getting some nice leg workouts in; perhaps this could be the commencement of the wedding diet... it’s right around the corner Jack and Mike, just over 4 months from today!
With that being said, this reminds me of an interesting difference between Spain and the United States.  In Spain, everyone seems to live in what we as Americans call, the “downtown” of the major cities, whereas the majority of Americans live in the “suburbs”.  If you ever visit a Spanish city, you’ll find that there are apartments on top of every kind of space: business offices, banks, markets, retail stores, salons etc...  Although the majority lives in the “downtown” area of the cities, there are small towns, or the “suburbs” which have a pretty decent population size as well.  As far as my experience is concerned, it’s been really cool to live in Coruña since it’s decidedly cosmopolitan and one of Spain’s major cities thanks to its well known port.  Who would have thought that this western-Cranstoner evolved into quite the urbanite!

No comments:

Post a Comment