Saturday, January 28, 2012

Turning the Big 2-1 in Coruña!

Happy weekend from Coruña!! This week was certainly an interesting one since I took final exams, celebrated my birthday, went out with some friends from the university and was recorded live on Coruña’s radio... details to follow.  I can happily report that I did really well on both finals, and received great final grades for those two classes; this monday I’ll be taking another final and then two-Thursdays from now I’ll take my last exam.  
Now on to my birthday!  Celebrating my birthday, let alone my twenty-first was really great but a little difficult being away from home.  However with facebook/email and my awesome host family, I felt right at home.  The host fam bought me little deserts and even gave me a coin box, to start saving for my return, and a picture-frame so that way I could put a picture of all of us together.  Later on in the night, my friends and I went to two new bars in the city to celebrate and as always, we had a really good time.
On thursday night, I met up with some friends that I’ve made at the university.  It was really great getting to know them outside of the classroom and I truly hope we can go out another time.  Unfortunately early Friday morning Coruña suffered a pretty tragic event.  At around 5 am, a foreign exchange and one policeman were reported dead, and two other policemen were reported missing.  The city, and arguably the country, has certainly been effected by it seeing that it made national news and a conversation of the day in all Spanish homes and on the street.
At 11:30 on Friday morning, my housing director Pablo called me to see if I was interested in getting interviewed on the radio.  I agreed to go, and it actually turned out to be a really cool and rewarding experience.  The interview was hosted by my friend Katherine’s host mom, so it was a blast getting to know her through it.  In the interview, we talked about Friday morning’s tragic event and she asked me some questions about my experience thus far. 
I know this is really off topic, but I just wanted to share with you this video that I stumbled upon facebook.  It’s truly powerful (it gave me the chills) and its certainly worth the 4 minutes.  The video is about a teenager named Ben Breedlove who passed away on Christmas evening; he had a very rare heart disease, however that did not stop him from doing what he loved: living life to the fullest and being a mentor for others.  I know that it’s about a month old in terms of mainstream news, but if you haven’t seen it, I really encourage you to watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TotalRandomness512?feature=watch

No comments:

Post a Comment